I first started this list in 2010, and — fortunately for me and a few million other chilangos –— it stands intact.
So, in the most old-fashioned Letterman-style countdown, here are the Top Ten Reasons Why Everybody Should Welcome the New Year in Mexico City.
1. You can ice-skate in the middle of the Zócalo. For free.
2. Mexico City was the first Latin American city to have legalized gay marriage (not that I plan to marry a gal there. Yet.)
3. There are virtually no illegal Mexicans there (we’re all documented…sort of)
4. We think homophobes are just like Hitler
5. You can say “Happy New Year!” a full 2 hours before they do so in California
6. Our churches still know how to protect their sanctity
7. You can swear up to 20 times a day there
8. Chilangos beat the hell out of the English in group smooch
9. We have awesomely named sushi trucks…
and last, but not least:
10. Street taco makers will do anything to protect your health
Got other reasons? Share them with me and see you in 2016.
¡Feliz Año Nuevo!