Gonzales’ fallout not bad for Hispanics: Professor

alberto-gonzales-improved.jpg

One has to be thankful for political analysts and university professors who share with us, mortals, their insight and wisdom about current events. Take Cal Jillson, a political science professor at the Southern Methodist University, who recently was quoted in the press analyzing the fallout of Alberto Gonzales.

“He was a Republican more than he was Hispanic in his adult life,” Mr. Jillson told The Dallas Morning News.

And wait, he’s not alone: apparently a growing number of “analysts” and Latino activists have concluded that Gonzales’ fallout was a matter of ethics not ethnicity, and that it shouldn’t be interpreted as a fallout of the Hispanic community.

Really?? And to think that I had been on the wrong side of the analysis all along, thinking we (Hispanics, Mexicans, Mexican-Americans and people with names like Martinez, Gonzalez or Rodriguez) were all creepy, disgusting politicians.

Well, I also thought Salma Hayek’s engagement to one of the world’s richest men meant all Mexican single women over 40 were destined for a similar future. Oh dear…

This entry was posted in Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Gonzales’ fallout not bad for Hispanics: Professor

1. macacanadian BWO El Salvador says:

Wait a minute, are you bitching because they aren’t trying to pin this on some lame stereotype?

I don’t understand the anger.

2. latinbeauty says:

Dear Macacanadian, quite the contrary! I thought it was very funny that you need a university professor to say the fall out of a politician (who incidentally is called Gonzales) doesn’t mean a blow to the Hispanic community! it’s insane.. and by the way, there’s no anger! I just try to find the funny angle on these kind of things!
    Thanks for writing and visiting my blog…

3. Adrian Perez says:

Are we Latinos born Demacrat? What does it mean “He was more Republican than he was Hispanic…”? Retired teacher Sal Castro (HBO Film “Walkout”) told me that teachers need additional training on Chicano studies to teach Latino kids. Perhaps that idea needs to be extended to political pundits as well.

Adrian

4. Bobby says:

I agree Adrian, latinos are very diverse, we’re not all pro-illegal alien (or migrants as the media calls them now), we don’t all love soccer, we don’t all listen to reagaeton, some of us are blonde, some brown, some black, some asian, some democrats, some republicans, etc. In fact, I didn’t even considered myself latino until I came to America. Before, I was just a Venezuelan, nothing more.

5. blackromancereader says:

The media loves to divide minorities. How funny that Gonzales’ fall isn’t bad for Hispanics, but as always, whenever a black person in the limelight does something “bad”, the media chalks it up to “black tendencies for badness” and the entire African-American race has yet another mark against them.

6. olivia says:

THE WASP´S CANNOT FIND AND ARGUMENT FOR THIS BIG JOKE, DOUBLE MORAL WEIGHTS STRONGLY :AN “HISPANO” IN SUCH PLACE!!!!!
    BUSH AND CO. AND ALL THE STATES CAN PRAY ANYTHING , THE SPEECH IS THE MEAL AND COVERS THE TRUTH. NUESTRA RAZA LES PESA….

7. valces says:

latinbeauty,

I am myself an ‘atypical’ Hispanic like yourself; no survey would actually survey me and I was not born here either. I am not replublican nor democrat…But I was sad to see the Gonzalez fallout. Far from considering him any ideal or aspirational model I thought it was sad to hear the media putting the words Hispanic and ‘not up to the standards’ in the same phrase. I found myself wishing Gonzalez would come up with a brilliant and well thought argument to get out of the mess he was in as a redemption of what was called by the press, the higher ranking Hispanic goverment official. Call me naive, but I wished he had done better.

8. marcelinopena says:

Gonzo is a terrible liar, idiot, and menace to society in general. I don’t see him as being some sort of representative of Mexican-Americans but a terrible politician who has sold out his soul to the current admin. a long time ago. The admin. has a pocket set of token “minorities” that will get their corrupt agenda done.

Gonzo will burn in hell. He has cause so much damage to our nation and to numerous innocent people in Guantanamo and across the middle east. He is as vile as the rest of the lot currently in the executive branch. Terrible people with horrible objectives.